Tuesday 4 December 2007

Zwingenberger Steingeröll Spätburgunder 2005

Yesterday I dropped in to the Buenter Loewe in Zwingenberg to select the menu for the firm's Christmas dinner next week. While I was there I tried a few of the reds and one white. The best red on the menu is a Zwingenberger Steingeroell Spaetburgunder 2005. This strong Pinot Noire reminded me of some of the wines from South Africa. It recently came second at the AWC International Wine Challenge in Vienna. The Granite Riesling I tried was also exceptional. I spoke to the owner - the vintner himself - and he tells me that 2007 will be a tremendous year for Bergstrasse riesling. The year started off quite wet which brought the shoots on the wines out very early. The Bergstrasse vineyards are on granite which often dries out quickly in all the sun but this year the moisture held and the early shoots developed into strong growth. Riesling needs a cool climate with cold winters, this autumn has seen some gentle mists in the vineyards that have given perfect flavour and acidity. Unfortunately, global warming, means that the cold conditions for good riesling are retreating higher and to the north at several kilometres a year. The good news is that it means better red wine.

No comments: