Sunday 9 December 2007

Tasting at Domaine Bergstraße, Bensheim

On Saturday I visited the home of the Hessische Staatsweingüter (Kloster Eberbach) in Bensheim. I was surprised to find the tasting room full of French people from Beaune tasting the red wines. Beaune is Bensheim's sister town in France (where the Beaujolais comes from). They were particularly impressed by the 2005 Frühburgunder trocken and the 2005 Rudibus trocken which is a strong flavoured red matured in wooden barrels.

I joined in a few rounds but I was actually looking for some good white wines so I settled for 3 bottles of 2006 Heppenheimer Steinkopf Riesling trocken (elegant with a taste of minerals) and 3 bottles of Heppenheimer Centgericht Grauer Burgunder trocken which has a fine apricot aroma. I also took a couple of bottles of 2005 Rose Secco - Perlwein which is a light but lively Sekt with a fine fruit taste.

No comments: